To Blog or Not to Blog: One teacher’s dilemma

 

Not everyone may be as lucky as me. Just today I was reminded that the willingness to share expertise, resources, and time is not universal from one school to the next. Some buildings may produce environments in which teachers feel like islands with no support and no connection. Social media, blogging and global PLNs are arguably a solution. Being able to create an alternative means of collaboration is a potential lifeboat leading to teacher retention and contentment.  

 

Genuinely appreciate the reasons for blogging offered by Tsisana Palmer in 9 Reasons Every Teacher Should Blog. All nine (share; reflect; publish; improve reading skills; serve others; lead one’s own PD; become a digital citizen; be ahead of one’s students; and showcase student work) are valid, each offering a significant contribution to personal and professional growth. I particularly like the opportunity to reflect as well as the chance to make connections through showcasing work. Serving others through the sharing of resources and experiences is not far behind in top reasons which might motivate me to blog. We could round out the list by adding creativity to the number ten position. Blogging certainly allows for creative expression providing the opportunity to venture into the arenas of design and the art of writing. Having said this, reasons exist which also make blogging unappealing to this teacher.

 

1) A need to be vulnerable for it to be useful. Private vulnerability is vastly different from public vulnerability. Any time we put our thoughts in public a forum we expose ourselves not just to potential support and connection and to (healthy) constructive criticism but we also expose ourselves to having our thoughts and words misread or misinterpreted. Having conversations with people we trust may have a markedly different result than doing it with people we may not know. And if we are to blog productively it requires an honesty which may not always be well received or may have a landing we did not anticipate. 

 

2) Permanency. Twofold. Once we put our words out, there they are. Forever. Even if we remove our blog or delete a post, nothing is ever really gone. On a positive, that trademark enables us to track our progress making our growth infinitely more tangible. However, words never leaving is scary. 

 

3) Time. Curating anything requires a commitment of time and energy. In a life which already demands being spread thin, carving out windows to write productively to reflect on life as an educator and lifelong learner feels overwhelming. In just setting up the page the hours snuck by until  I was pulled away by life again. I could easily become consumed by writing and reading others’ blogs.

 

Nevertheless, with the good and potentially not so good (and severely out of my comfort zone), here I go….

Comments

Tate Van Valkenburg said…
Kate, I loved reading this post. I love your honesty and that you not only mention reasons why we should blog, but also reasons that are unappealing to you. The vulnerability paragraph: YES. You are so right, there is a huge difference with public vulerability. Exposing ourselves and our thoughts for not just one person to see, but for the public to see is terrifying. This is the reason I don't use facebook as it has become a place for people to share their controversial opinions and begin arguing with others who do not think the same way. I think that this is a fear that we can all relate to, we're in it together! Your first blog was a great read!
Tate
Ms. Jordyn said…
Kate, I appreciate your post. I too feel out of my comfort zone blogging. Putting your thoughts out there for anyone to read is scary. At least when we write discussion posts with Canvas only our peers and teachers can read it, and once the class ends they disappear forever, but here they are available forever for anyone to read.
Jordyn
Ms. K said…
Hi Kate, this post is something I can entirely relate to. Blogging seems to me a great way of networking and sharing ideas and offers opportunity for collaboration not just among coworkers, but among teachers worldwide! This can provide endless opportunities for learning from other professionals who may have been there done that and have successful stories to offer. Alternatively, you are putting yourself out there to be seen by ALL and as you stated, anything that goes out there stays out there. It is a bit nerve racking for me to put myself out there in that way. However, it may just take some getting used to. I do enjoy the idea that blogging is a great way to utilize unlimited resources and share your thoughts and concerns just as we are here! Thank you so much for posting! Tina
Mr. Faulconer said…
Kate, your point about vulnerability definitely resonated with me. While constructive criticism is, of course, a important aid to growth, the idea of 'wild criticism' and the associated risk of mental damage it carries with it does seem like something of a deterrent to blogging. Especially on a topic which is apparently becoming as controversial as education, it also seems like a prime way to get in trouble with certain factions, if you happen to agree idea has been adopted as the boogieman du jour. The permanency of it is also a concern - as people, we always grow and adapt. I know that the 'me' I was even five years ago is not a person I'd very much like to interact with today. The idea of that iteration of myself being around forever for perusal and misinterpretation, especially with the potential ramifications for it professionally, seems daunting.
David Provencher said…
Just like you I thought blogging was going to be the most difficult and frustrating thing I would do today but I was wrong. It seems that having to leave comments has proven more difficult for me than writing my actual blog. I hope before next week I can figure out what I am doing wrong and fix it.
Colleen Mehalko said…
Hi Kate, the idea of my thoughts being misinterpreted or sitting "out there" forever frightens me as well. This is also one of the reasons that I am not on any social media. With exception of Pinterest and Good Reads, I have backed out of any social media platforms. I hate the feeling of being out there with the possibility of people keeping tabs on me. I feel much more comfortable with sharing information about me the old fashioned way, with someone reaching out and asking me what's new!
Thank you for your post!
Kaitlin Fauteux said…
Hi Kate, I am similarly frightened by the internet's permanency. We teach our students about their digital footprint and how to be good digital citizens. During these lessons we learn about everything that can go wrong with posting. I find myself not using social media or not being friends with colleagues on social media platforms because it does make you feel so vulnerable when sharing thoughts or ideas. Recently I have begun to reach out more to colleagues and have found that I was closing myself off to opportunities to learn and grow as an educator because I avoided these online forums. My colleagues are a wealth of knowledge and I am glad that I left what you had wrote "the isolated Island". I think it was great how you illustrated the importance of using the online forums to learn, while still keeping in mind the potential problems that can arise when using them. Love the post!