UM, WHAT? WHAT’S THAT? OH, just MY GROWTH MINDSET.


How is it that one can manage their job, their home, their kids' schedules, etc. but cannot seem to get the order of things down for just one class?


On Thursday of last week, my FPF asked if I had sent her my LOFT reflection. To which I replied, I completed the reflection within my lesson plan. To which she elaborated, no, your LOFT reflection


My what now? 


I had not YET heard of the separate document that is required so I started digging around the TERP page (not as intuitive or user friendly as it could be perhaps). Guess what? We have to complete a LOFT reflection and submit it to our FPF and observing faculty member prior to our second observation for our intermediate and advanced courses (don't stress, it just requires taking the goals from FPF's feedback and writing how you plan to address them in your unit; the challenging part was finding the form, not completing it). What does this have to do with a growth mindset you ask…. Well, let’s just say being hard on yourself might just be a well-established, learned behavior that I am unlikely to shake any time soon.

 


Did I momentarily panic? You bet. Did I momentarily think, oh mylanta, how do I not know these things are due? Yep, sure did. But then I took a deep breath and remembered that this is my first intermediate course and there is a lot I don’t understand or know YET. 

 


And then I reached out to a couple of GSC mates and asked if they knew about this YET? And they, too, hadn’t heard about it. Did this make me feel good? You bet. Did it make me okay with not knowing? Yep, sure did. 

 


Perhaps not the growth mindset as Carol Dweck intended but sure feels like one. Sometimes, as adults, it is as if we think we have outgrown a need for patience for ourselves, so habituated to the mechanics of our lives are we. And sometimes when things are hard, we may even see it as a sign that the thing, the path, or the whatever it is may not be for us, which may encourage retreat or withdrawal altogether. Whereas, if we just extend to ourselves the wee bit of patience that the YET requires, we can practice that new learning dependent on our old knowledge thing Piaget and the constructivists were rightfully so jazzed about. 

 



P.S. Perhaps you will find this as helpful as I did. At the halfway, friends, at the halfway. Week 12 chuckles lie ahead. 

 

 

Comments

Kate,
Uhhhh...THANK YOU for this! I also had no idea we had to do this, and assumed I had already completed my reflections in my Lesson Plan. Whoops! You are so right though, I immediately went to panic mode and thought "How could I have forgotten about this?!" I am a huge culprit of not being patient with myself. So thank you for this reminder, I totally needed this. Now off I go to find my LOFT...
Tate
Ms. K said…
Hi Kate,

Thank you so much for the reminder that we are all in the same boat and have our struggles! Mine are right there with yours, and...well...everyone's! It is very funny that we put ourselves in these positions as the students, but fortunate that we are all teachers and can also take this and use it as a learning curve when we work with our students. This can help us to relate to them when they are struggling and just cannot figure out one simple step in the lesson. I look at it as a real eye-opener for perspective. The good news is you figured it out! We are figuring it out! We will all be ok!

Best of luck to you!
Warmly,
Tina
Ms. Jordyn said…
Kate,
It sounds like someone is using the power of yet to have a growth mindset! I love the power of yet and I think it is so helpful to kids who struggle with having a growth mindset. I also think the adults in their 20s and older struggle with it more because teaching a growth mindset in schools was not yet (haha) a thing that was the norm for school counselors to do. I am hopeful that the newer generations will have better luck than us!
Jordyn
Maddie Grierson said…
Hey Kate! I can honestly say I LOVE your posts and I genuinely look forward to reading them each week. Your comment on my post made me LAUGH OUT LOUD and I even shouted you out in my latest post. I hope someday I get the chance to meet you in person because your energy and personality bring me so much joy and happiness. I just really want you to know that I appreciate you AND I am right there with you (and it seems like some other classmates) in being beyond LOST in this class. Feeling behind is NOT the norm for me and I am so glad I am not the only one struggling to hold it together in this class specifically. Thank you for sharing about the LOFT reflection and reaching out and letting me know about it as well! I definitely need to get that done before my next observation! You are amazing and we will get through this! Have a fantastic week and a fun Halloween with your kids! I hope you share any fun costumes in your next blog post!!
~Maddie