What being a sixth grader taught me

When I was in 6th grade, I was moved from a very small parochial school to a private school, replete with starched, stiff uniforms and caricatured, humorless teachers, each with multiple credentials, from handfuls of master's degrees to PhDs. I did not belong, at least not any more than I had at the previous school which was not a lot. On my very first day, my social studies teacher gave us a blank map of the world and told us to label as many places as we could in fifteen minutes. This might have been my first experience of a panic attack and testing anxiety. As I began sweating profusely, and with a racing heart and breath which had stopped being whole, I thought, I am so dumb, I don't know any of these places. How can I not know where my home is?


Everyone else seemed to be busily writing in the names of continents- a concept I had not yet learned (again, I attended a small, parochial school before this which, at the time, were not known for their ss curriculum)- countries, states, cities, oceans, and rivers. At the end of the allotted (and painful) fifteen minutes,  I submitted my paper with no more than my first name and the day's date. I thought for sure the teacher would now only ever see me as dumb and not belonging. Just retelling it makes my heart speed up a bit and though I can't prove it, pretty sure she liked me a little less after this. 


As an educator, I can see it may have just been a baseline pre-assessment. Perhaps it was not intended to make me feel the way I did. Perhaps it was information that would help the teacher see where her students were in their understanding of geography (it being more than 30 years ago, pre modern classroom and ballooned support for self-paced learning, perhaps not). But here's the thing, it felt awful. (This little anecdote could serve as a friendly reminder to keep doing as we do now and informing and reassuring our students that much of our assessment is for us, the teacher, to see if we are teaching what we think and hope we are). The personal consequence of this horror-filled, palpitating episode was becoming adept at memorization. Maintaining recall just long enough to get an A on a test or a quiz was my superpower. It didn't help me understand the relationship between location and people or location and culture or location and economics, etc. but, it got me through middle school and high school.


Our school has a world map painted on a wall across from the library. On occasion, you might find a third grade class out there looking at it, discovering a new place and where it is in relation to us. Recently, in honor of Hispanic Heritage month, a teacher even put out a sign asking if students could identify places where Spanish was spoken. While great to see, is it enough? 


Tying geography (and all themes of social studies) to other concepts and to more content areas is necessary if we want our students to be globally literate and astute citizens. As I read over curriculum (for social studies, language, art, science, and even math), the value of connection continues to stand out. When things are isolated, we miss an opportunity to better understand ourselves and others; we fail to comprehend, for example, how the town, city, state, country, and continent in which we find ourselves plays a much bigger role in who and how we are as a person, as a community, and as a people. When we approach learning by cross-curricular means we enable students to perform higher-order and critical thinking. And isn't that the whole point of education?


Comments

Mr. Faulconer said…
Kate,

You know, I really appreciated your comment about keeping things connected, and not letting them exist in a vacuum. Especially when it comes to Social Studies (alright, and science) and the lack of emphasis that seems to be placed on it these days. In my placement, the students have 40 minutes for Social Studies OR Science (they alternate and share the same spot on the schedule), and even then only four days a week - they have a second day of PE on Thursdays during that spot instead. And I was bemoaning that fact to my SP, and she asked what I thought we should do about it. Not like she actually wanted a suggestion, more in that tired, resigned way people ask when nothing can be done. But my immediate suggestion was take some time away from the 90 minutes dedicated to Reading, or to Math, or the full hour for Writing. Not because I don't think those subjects are important - of course they are. But why can't we make the kids read about social studies subjects? Or write something related to social studies? I mean, half of them are reading historical fiction books anyway, why not have them try their hand at writing them, if they're writing fiction anyway?
Maddie Grierson said…
Hi Kate,

Wow, thank you for sharing that story. It made me feel for the young you sitting there in a new school that already made you feel out of place and being unsure of the answers. I like the connection you made, that it may have just been a pre-assessment but it was certainly a lot more of a big deal to you that day. Social studies shouldn't be so intimidating, or scary but sometimes that is how it feels. Social Studies certainly was not my favorite topic to learn about, and there are no standardized tests for it so I feel like it almost feels more of a chore to teach it! I agree with the comment above me as well, so many schools share that time with science, it is a very pushed-aside topic. This doesn't need to be the case, making social studies lessons engaging and tying them into reading and writing could be a fun way to get kids more engaged and learning without keeping it all contained in a vacuum.
Kate,

I loved reading this post. I found myself starting to feel nervous as well just thinking about quickly scribbling in the names of any countries I could think of. You are right that we learned in a world where memorizing facts long enough to get an A is all we needed to do. I personally was hit with the realization that this is not how to get by when I went to college and all tests were the application of said facts and figures. Even now, teachers use the terms "a check-in" rather than a quiz or test, but our students still see through that and focus on the fact that we will be looking at their answers to see what they know. How can we get them to stress less about the "tests" but yet still take it seriously? We need to find a balance, but it's much easier said than done!
Tate