Lesson Plans




One of the most frequent comments from building colleagues (i.e., those amazing people making up my PLN) this term has been, oh my goodness, the lesson plan requirements are intense. And, let’s be honest, those delightful, helpful, modest colleagues of mine are not entirely wrong. 


The first certification program I did was twenty years ago when goals and objectives needed to be written in SWBAT (Students Will Be Able To) terms, something which would be considered a faux pas now. Not unlike our GSC program, lesson planning was the pinnacle of all things (though it felt slightly less consuming). 


Is learning this intensive and laborious manner of lesson planning useful? Yes. Is it practical? Absolutely not. So why do we do it?



Understanding the elements of successful lesson planning is vital to becoming a competent educator, without argument. Will I be spending 10-40 hours on one lesson plan or unit prior to teaching it? No, I will not. Not because such lesson planning holds no value but rather because TIME holds greater value. However, making the most of TIME does require an innate ability to lesson plan which one can argue is only learned through developing the more tedious and laborious ones ad nauseam. Again, not entirely wrong. Knowing and understanding the components of lesson planning are fundamental to instruction. But those future hours are more likely to be used by me developing activities, graphic organizers, manipulatives and researching technology and other tools and resources so the lessons themselves are useful. 

 


Similarly, well-developed pre-assessments (formative, summative, as well) and post-assessments are a necessary and fruitful means of driving instruction. Am I going to spend hours crafting charts and guides to those charts for the benefit of someone else, someone who may not have my students? No. But will I collect and chart data for me and for anyone who may work with my students in the fastest, most reliable, and most informative and useful means possible? Absolutely. Why? Because I don’t value assessment? No, not at all. But rather because I value both assessment and TIME. 

 


While practicing all these aspects of planning is vital to helping us become architects of learning for every student, it can feel draining and futile. Coupled with our already consuming schedules in whatever role we are currently performing it can, at times, feel maddening. However, sharing them- being able to see all the creative and inspiring things others are doing- is absolutely awesome and the BEST aspect of what collaboration has to offer. 



Wishing the sharing aspect of our classes didn’t disappear as a new term’s class populates our Dashboard. In the meantime, here’s to not becoming discouraged by the need to develop lesson plans as required and taking as much as we can from the process for the future. 

 

Comments

Ms. K said…
Hi Kate. What you say resonates with me very well and I'm sure many of the other teacher classmates do as well. The work of developing lessons is tedious and is taking so much more of our time than we would like or expect. In fact, in comparison to a master's program, it takes up even more time. Honestly, we should get more from the program with the level we are working in my opinion. That said, you are very right! These lesson-building activities help us to think a bit more deeply about the lessons we are providing to our students and help us to develop better ways to teach the criteria. Just like you, I would not be spending my time planning this way, but it will help with the critical thinking portion of developing a lesson. In my school, the grade level I work with already has the lessons planned out for each subject for the entire year. The teachers have spent a lot of time compiling the lessons they have done in the past, then they work together to collaborate when they will incorporate each part into their classes. Of course, each teacher has their own unique touches to these lessons, but the bulk of it is all mapped out. This makes the rest of the teacher planning much easier to accomplish. Learning these planning skills would be a great tool for scaffolding and differentiating the lessons where there may not be any pre-written into the saved lessons. This is definitely something we can take with us as educators. Thanks for sharing Kate!
~Tina
Ms. Jordyn said…
Kate,
The thing that I don't like about lesson planning is that depending on where you go or what you're doing a lesson plan template doesn't always look the same. The first and only times I have ever written a lesson plan is through a GSC class. So, this year I have my first formal observation by my principal where we have to write a lesson plan into Frontline and the format is completely different and I have no idea how to fill it out.
Jordyn
Unknown said…
Hi Kate,
I agree that the GSC lesson plan templates are intense! They are so thorough. I think it is a great place to learn from. Can everyone one of your lesson day in and day out through the entire school year be this developed? Not likely. But, I do think that some can, certainly units. We are also internalizing these practices and they will at least, in part become second nature as we teach. I for one struggle with the MLO's and Essential Questions. I hope to get better at these with more practice!

Danielle
Lauren said…
Hi Kate,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post because it tapped into thoughts I'm sure many GSC students have had throughout this program. Time is limited. Period. While I would like to spend as much time as I need throughout the week to read every article and chapter assigned, watch all the linked videos, and take my time to complete every assignment to my best, it just isn't possible. I instead must prioritize elements of each class that I feel I will get the most out of. I am now entering into my first intermediate clinical course, and I'm a bit apprehensive about the lesson planning because I know it will take a lot of time. But, like you said, the full process is necessary in order for us to condense it when we are teachers. It will need to be second nature, which only happens through practice.

Thanks for your post and good luck with the rest of your classes!
Lauren